Pow Wow Party – Kara’s Party Ideas Book

Posted on April 5th, 2012 by Kara
Comments 162

I’m so excited to share the POW WOW THEMED BIRTHDAY PARTY I styled last month. This party is actually in my upcoming book and is one of the select parties you get to see before the book hits shelves this October!

All of the amazing photos were taken by Valerie Hart Photography. Valerie is so talented, and has been an absolute joy to work with.

The party was set among the infamous red rock and sand in Snow Canyon, Utah. It was such a gorgeous setting, and the perfect location for the party.

A lot of fun desserts and treats were created for the party. The edible teepees were made by dipping ice cream sugar cones in melted white Wilton Candy Melts® and decorating with licorice string and various candies. “Corncob Twinkies®” were made by simply spreading frosting over Twinkies® and placing Reese’s Pieces® in rows on top of the frosting. The cupcakes on top of the old toy drum were topped with fondant corncob cupcake toppers that I ordered from Parkers Flour Patch. The adorable teepee cake pops were ordered online from Etsy shop, Autumn Lynn’s Chocolate Sin’s. Cute cactus-shaped sugar cookies were ordered online from All Things Exquisite. Totem poles were made out of tootsie rolls and cupcakes were topped with small dreamcatchers.

For activities the children colored and put together small cardboard teepees using a kit from my shop and filled glass jars with colored sand. They also cut out cute paper doll banners, a download from Happy Paper Hearts. Small bows and arrows and little dolls were given to each child to play with throughout the party and take home afterwards.

Vendor Credits:

Photography–Valerie Hart Photography

Party Styling–Kara’s Party Ideas

Invitations, Food Label Tent Cards, Teepee Party Hats— Included on CD in Book- Released October, 2012

Necklaces, Gummy Snakes, Paper Sacks, Toy Tomahawks, Dream Catchers, Pouch Craft Kit, Teepee Craft Kit, Feathers, Glass Jars, Small Glass Jars, Rock Candy, Wooden Utensils, Colored Sand, Sucker Sticks, Wilton Candy Melts(R), Bakers Twine, Paper Shred, Scrapbook Paper, Paper Bags—Kara’s Party Shop

Teepee Cake Pops—Autumn Lynn’s Chocolate Sin’s

Paper Doll Banner–Happy Paper Hearts

Cactus-Shaped Sugar Cookies—All Things Exquisite

Corncob Fondant Cupcake Toppers—Parkers Flour Patch

Fondant Cookie Toppers—Cookie Covers
Children’s Teepee–Amazon

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

162 thoughts on “Pow Wow Party – Kara’s Party Ideas Book

Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments

1. Jennifer

EPIC FAIL! What is wrong with you? Shame!!! Are you still going to publish this in your book? Please take a hint from these overwhelmingly negative comments that have been posted on this page.

I am native and I live on a reservation. I had parties for my half-native daughter. They were not really native themed but we had art parties and made beaded jewelry or did basket weaving. I am a bead artist but I do not do basket weaving so I had friends with weaving skills help at these parties. We didn’t wear any weird costumes from Oriental Traders. Didn’t have any war bonnets or Tipis either.

You have a lot of skills as a party planner – I just wish you hadn’t wasted them on this!

2. Jade Crowe

I really admire all of your party planning skills and ideas but this is offensive and disgraceful. You are teaching children racism by having this party.
    Would you have a party where all the kids dressed up as black people and mocked their heritage? No you wouldn’t. Because people don’t think of aboriginal heritage as being something we should respect. You can’t go around dressing up as “Indians” and having “pow wows”. I really hope this did not get published in your book. It’s horribly offensive to an entire race of people.

1. kelley

I am a latecomer but I must say that I TOTALLY disagree with the people who found this party offensive.

I live near chicago and researched and wrote a curriculum for a Native American cultural arts lesson for my children’s elementary school a few years ago. When traveling out west, I spoke to many Native American’s who told me that preferred to be called Indians, not Native Americans. They are proud of their heritage and history and it should be celebrated NOT ignored like it is shameful. We order the food for our school event from a company owned by an INDIAN family in South Dakota and they have gladly answered my many questions (by phone or email) about their heritage and have encouraged us to teach the kids about their many native customs including the fact that native American people are peace loving and the true originators of “green” living.

Kara never said she was representing each native American tribe. A birthday party is not the place for a history lesson, rather an opportunity to have fun celebrating a small sliver of an amazing culture.

Kara, thank you for your amazing party ideas! I love them all!
      kelley P

1. Ericca

Sorry, you didn’t do your research well enough. This would offend every native I know, including me. There is nothing even close to being culturally accurate, only terrible stereotypes. No need to celebrate our history or traditions, we can do that for ourselves.

3. Donna Robertson

Obviously you haven’t read ANY of the culturally sensitive materials on how to raise children who are accepting of other cultures. Native Americans are no longer called “Indians”, The generic, stereotypical dress you slapped on those obviously Caucasion kids is ignorant as well as disrespectful, and the crafts are less than anyone who has ever been around the wide varieties of Heritages are offensive. I was impressed by your site and your items and themes until I saw this. I would not want ANYONE to know I ever stumbled upon it or you. It is so prejudiced, it is disgusting!

4. Tony

Racist?!? Ha…not at all. So kids can’t play dress up anymore? This is what our society has come to. Even for your own kid’s party, you have to walk the politically correct tightrope. This isn’t even close to racist. In fact, it’s celebrating a culture and its traditions. There is no ill will behind it. So, is it racist for a Hispanic boy to have cowboy-themed party? Is it racist for an African-American boy to have a Karate-themed party? Open up your eyes. If anything, having different themes for a party based on different cultures can help to educate children so that they learn to respect those cultures.

1. Ericca

There is nothing significant to any native culture…it’s mocking native cultures. Check your perspective…have a different party.

5. KimberLee

I see NO problem with this theme. I’m Native American (live & grew up on a reservation) and I don’t mind being called an “Indian”. I think this is an adorable party. :) Just because it’s not significant to any certain tribe, it want meant to make fun of us Natives.

6. nat

WHOA!! HOLD your horses, everybody! (oops.. was THAT racist, too?)
    JEEZ, people. Let’s get a grip. Find something else to freak out about, rather than a child’s BIRTHDAY PARTY, and whether or not it was “politically correct”. Honestly. I cannot believe how ridiculous people are. Just because the “correct attire” was not worn (GASP!) at a dang BIRTHDAY PARTY does not in any way mean that it is “racist” or “out of touch”.
    For the record: my daughter (turning 7) has wanted an “Indian” party for 9 months now. Is it because she’s racist and wants to “mock” (as a previous commenter wrote) the Native American culture? NO! OF COURSE NOT! It’s because we read four books of The Little House On The Prairie, and in it, there is a lot of talk of Indians, and she became fascinated about them and curious and loves to read and learn everything she can about them. Am I going to bog down her interest, love, and curiosity about “Indians” by making sure every detail of her little birthday party are politically correct and accurate according to each and every individual tribe or culture? NO! That would be ridiculous. She’s 7. It’s not a damn political statement, it’s a PARTY. And if she loves bows and arrows, and arrow heads and beads and drums and tipi’s, then by golly, that’s fine with me. Do I do my best to educate her in the REAL history of the United States and the Natives? You’re damn right I do. But I don’t lecture her on the ins and outs of the political correctness of every single thing. The sheer absurdity of some the comments here blew me away.
    For the record: I thought the party looked creative, beautiful, and fun. Sorry if some of you out there choose to feel offended by a child’s choice in theme for THEIR birthday party. Sorry if they wore costumes that weren’t hand made by an ACTUAL Native American!
    And for those of you who ARE Native American, or who chose to feel offended by this child’s party: If you want to educate people about WHY you find certain things offensive, perhaps ranting and berating people is not the way. If you want them to understand where you’re coming from, being disrespectful and ignorant is, again, NOT the way.
    Jeez… I hope the “birthday police” don’t show up at MY daughter’s party and judge the correctness of her costume or the crafts she wants to do or treats she wants to have. What a downer.

1. nat

And further, after reading through ALL of the comments here (yes, I know… I’m late to the “party”… this goes back 6 months or more), I respected and heard and really understood the ones who KINDLY and SINCERELY shared WHY or HOW this party could/would be interpreted as “racist”.
      The rest of you who have such “righteous indignation” are just the other side of a coin you are trying to blame. Your anger and rage and disgust with how some one (innocently) portrayed your culture at a child’s party is equally as sad as the person who you claim committed the wrong in the first place! Don’t you SEE THAT?
      I confess: I am quite ignorant when it comes to Native American cultures. The main reason(s): I went to public school in America. (Again, one of the MANY reasons MY children do NOT attend public schools… it’s just a huge propaganda machine. But, I digress.)
      So, jeez… after reading through most of the HATE coming from self-proclaimed “Native” peoples, I shudder! What is a white mama to do when her daughter wants to have an “indian” or “Native” party? She wants to dance around the fire. She wants to paint war paint on her face. She wants to make jewelry and weave things. She wants to make paint out of flowers!? What, then? What would “y’all” have me do? Say, “No. You can’t. That’s racist.” Or, would simply deeming it a Cherokee-themed birthday party, or a Navajo-themed party make it “appropriate” (as long as all crafts and food items were TRUE and ACCURATE to said tribe) to all you nay-sayers? I mean, I guess you can’t please EVERYBODY, but I just wonder…
      I gotta be honest: at this point, I pretty much feel like just shutting her down, and resorting to a lame-ass Disney party or some other useless and pointless “theme”. Don’t wanna step on anyone’s toes!! (insert sarcasm.) Jeez. What a fiasco.

1. KG

Nat-
        I hope all the negativity did not keep you from celebrating your child’s birthday the way she wanted:) it is all about the kiddos after all!

7. Anonymous

I am Native American and I have lived and attended school on an indian reservation and I thought it was cute! Indians still dress up and celebrate. Does that mean we can never wear African costumes or Asian costumes and have a party? Why exactly are you offended?

1. Adriann

I dare you to dress up in an “African” costume to a party and see how it is taken. It’s unfortunate you do not take our culture or identity serious.

8. KG

Incorporating some of your great ideas into my 5 year old’s upcoming birthday party, thanks! Congrats on your book! And remember to always focus on the good and not let the negative criticism way you down. The children in the photos look ecstatic so I say job well done!