Pow Wow Party – Kara’s Party Ideas Book

Posted on April 5th, 2012 by Kara
Comments 162

I’m so excited to share the POW WOW THEMED BIRTHDAY PARTY I styled last month. This party is actually in my upcoming book and is one of the select parties you get to see before the book hits shelves this October!

All of the amazing photos were taken by Valerie Hart Photography. Valerie is so talented, and has been an absolute joy to work with.

The party was set among the infamous red rock and sand in Snow Canyon, Utah. It was such a gorgeous setting, and the perfect location for the party.

A lot of fun desserts and treats were created for the party. The edible teepees were made by dipping ice cream sugar cones in melted white Wilton Candy Melts® and decorating with licorice string and various candies. “Corncob Twinkies®” were made by simply spreading frosting over Twinkies® and placing Reese’s Pieces® in rows on top of the frosting. The cupcakes on top of the old toy drum were topped with fondant corncob cupcake toppers that I ordered from Parkers Flour Patch. The adorable teepee cake pops were ordered online from Etsy shop, Autumn Lynn’s Chocolate Sin’s. Cute cactus-shaped sugar cookies were ordered online from All Things Exquisite. Totem poles were made out of tootsie rolls and cupcakes were topped with small dreamcatchers.

For activities the children colored and put together small cardboard teepees using a kit from my shop and filled glass jars with colored sand. They also cut out cute paper doll banners, a download from Happy Paper Hearts. Small bows and arrows and little dolls were given to each child to play with throughout the party and take home afterwards.

Vendor Credits:

Photography–Valerie Hart Photography

Party Styling–Kara’s Party Ideas

Invitations, Food Label Tent Cards, Teepee Party Hats— Included on CD in Book- Released October, 2012

Necklaces, Gummy Snakes, Paper Sacks, Toy Tomahawks, Dream Catchers, Pouch Craft Kit, Teepee Craft Kit, Feathers, Glass Jars, Small Glass Jars, Rock Candy, Wooden Utensils, Colored Sand, Sucker Sticks, Wilton Candy Melts(R), Bakers Twine, Paper Shred, Scrapbook Paper, Paper Bags—Kara’s Party Shop

Teepee Cake Pops—Autumn Lynn’s Chocolate Sin’s

Paper Doll Banner–Happy Paper Hearts

Cactus-Shaped Sugar Cookies—All Things Exquisite

Corncob Fondant Cupcake Toppers—Parkers Flour Patch

Fondant Cookie Toppers—Cookie Covers
Children’s Teepee–Amazon

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

162 thoughts on “Pow Wow Party – Kara’s Party Ideas Book

Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments

1. Adriann

I am a member of the Assiniboine and Sioux Nations of the Fort Peck Reservation. A large part of my role both on my reservation and as I travel for work throughout our nation, is to educate the power of stereotypes. It is true that our culture is often revered as it is portrayed in mainstream media, and due to our limited ability to reach out to the mainstream media the voice of our people is stifled. It is not your fault that you are unaware of the offensive context of this party, particularly if you have no connection with Indian Country. Although the point was illustrated in previous points I will again state why this party can be considered racist and offensive (with no ill will to the creator of this theme):
    1) The theme of the party is a conglomerate of pan-indianisms, meaning there are bits and pieces of various tribal cultures conjured into one thematic idea of what is “Native American”. This is offensive to all American Indians who are concerned with identity because although all classified as “American Indian” or “Native American” we are representative of over 500 tribal nations, each with different cultures and history (although some regional tribes may share some of the same cultural ideals).

2) As the most underrepesented race in the United States of America it is important that our history and culture are presented in the way that we deem appropriate and this means removing the stereotypes placed upon us by mainstream media.

3) Furthermore (and I will end my point here), we appreciate when our culture and heritage is celebrated, but we ask that it is done so in a fashion that represents our nations today in a non-conglomerate approach. Instead of a “pow wow” party, if children were to be interested in our culture you could always ask someone who is Native to showcase dance, regalia, language etc. That is an appropriate form of flattery for our culture; not teaching your children that Native Americans arre merely a “fantasy-culture” comprised only of teepees, tomahawks, and feathers.

I thank you for this opportunity to explain in further detail and hope it is taken non-offensively, but at the same time with all seriousness to you and your readers.

Pidamye’

2. Holly

My daughter wants an “Indian Princess Pow-Wow” birthday and we love this party you posted! So many great ideas! I’m a Native American and my great grandparents are both full blood Creek. I don’t find this offensive at all, in fact, my family loves the idea of showcasing our “roots” in my daughters 3rd birthday. Sure, it won’t be perfectly and politically correct because, after all, she is turning 3 and the crafts she wants to do are very simple and easy for her age. I will be doing my best to get hear an authentic outfit from a relative but if I can’t I will be shopping on Amazon or Etsy for one (GASP!). We all have different opinions and feel differently about things but you catch more bees with honey than vinegar. Kara, you did an amazing job and I hope that I can use some of your wonderful ideas to give my little Native American the Indian Princess Pow-Wow she has been talking about non-stop :) Oh, and before I sign off, I do have to say I am very embarrassed by the “Natives” being so rude and angry over a this precious child’s party. We are a peaceful people, remember?

1. Kara Post author

Thank you so much, Holly! That really means a lot! I had no idea that this party would cause so much controversy. I had no intension whatsoever of doing so. I absolutely love your culture and heritage, and only wanted to celebrate it & have a fun party for children. I wish you the best of luck with your Indian Princess Pow-Wow! Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help! In fact, send me your email address, will ya…and I’ll send you the printables used in this party for free :] kara@karaspartyideas.com xoxo

3. Dee Gaudet

I am a registered tribal member in the State of Washington. I do NOT find this party offensive at all. It has inpsired me to fulfill my soon-to-be nine year old’s birthday wish of a birthday pow-wow! Keep inspiring!

4. Jayme

Dying to know where you purchased that Teepee. Cutest thing I’ve ever seen. :) Thanks so much for your time… Your parties are incredible!!!!!!!

5. Jill G

Pidamye you couldn’t have said it any better! Thank you for explaining why this isn’t acceptable!!

6. Jill G

Holly are you sure you aren’t an “Indian Princess” yourself? “Indian Princess” as in NON NATIVE?

7. Melaney

Very wonderful party! I love the setting, décor, and all the treats!
    I never even thought of having a Native American themed party before!
    I’m Mexican&Navajo and have fiesta themed dinner parties or birthday parties but now I will definitely use this as inspiration for a “Navajo” themed party!
    Thank you for the inspiration!

8. Donna Reagan

What leaps out is the fact that you have located the party in a Southwest setting with Plains Indian costumes and teepees. This is very incongruous. I agree with the commenter from the Sioux nations about the stereotypes represented in this themed party.
    It does not anger me but for someone who is writing a book, it should have been better researched and an attempt made to
    find out what a real PowWow consists of and how to replicate it for children in a way that honors the people and their culture.

9. Karla

I’m 1/2 German and 1/2 Native. Although the theme is “cute”, I agree with previous comments that it’s just not specific to any tribe and it is all jumbled with stereotypes. If you could research it more and “honor” a specific tribe and while having fun, educate kids about that specific tribe your party theme is based on, it would be much more respectful. Look at it this way: if my 5 year old daughter wanted an African American themed party, I would research proper foods and customs from a specific place in Africa and respectfully represent the culture. I wouldn’t just whip of a batch of chicken and waffles and put some rap music on, then offer watermelon for dessert because that is WRONG and hurtful to people of that race, not to mention wildly inaccurate. Finally, all the people on here who are angry at the natives for speaking up, especially Victoria….You are very, very uneducated about the native culture. We are, like most people in any culture, generally good. I don’t do drugs, I don’t drink in excess, I own my own business, and two homes. I pay my bills, taxes, I volunteer, go to church, and I encourage acceptance of every culture. I just expect that in return. If we are getting into stereotypes here….It would be safe to assume that Victoria would have been a great slave owner or an active participant in forcing natives off of their own lands so she could have it for herself. But I bet she is actually a pretty good person who just has a skewed opinion of natives because she hasn’t been directly exposed to the culture. Just like Kara. It’s not her fault. She doesn’t know any better. It doesn’t help that there really isn’t any proper education in most schools about the struggles natives endured at the hands of settlers and early U.S government. What settlers did to natives was as bad as the holocaust. Research the Dakota 38 or the Trail of Tears and see what I mean instead of sharing something that Oprah decided to report on. All cultures have bad eggs, poverty, drug abuse, health issues, and crime. We are mostly good, just like the majority of other cultures. Please know that.